OPXBIO uses its proprietary leading EDGE™ (Efficiency Directed Genome Engineering) technology to manufacture renewable bio-based chemicals and fuels that provide more sustainable value than the existing petro-based products they will directly replace. With unprecedented speed and capital efficiency, in just 18 months OPXBIO has developed and piloted the microbe and bioprocess that will produce its first renewable chemical product – BioAcrylic from a range of sugar feedstocks. OPXBIO is now producing BioAcrylic at large demonstration-scale in anticipation of first commercial production in 2014-2016.
In 2011, OPXBIO began collaborating with The Dow Chemical Company, the largest U.S. producer of petro-acrylic, to develop the commercial process for producing BioAcrylic. Today’s petro-acrylic has a $10 billion global market with applications in products such as paints, adhesives, diapers and detergents. The company's second product is diesel fuel bio-processed from carbon dioxide and hydrogen.
Facts & Stats
- OPXBIO has raised $64 million with venture investors.
- Named to the 2012 Global Cleantech 100 by the Cleantech Group, a global research and advisory firm focused on innovation in energy and the environment.
- OPXBIO’s EDGE technology creates cost-performance optimized microbes and bioprocesses faster and at lower cost than conventional methods. It is also flexible with demonstrated ability to convert multiple feedstocks into a wide range of bio-products.
- The company’s second product is diesel fuel bio-processed from carbon dioxide and hydrogen. The U.S. Department of Energy has awarded OPXBIO $6M to support this development.
- Founded in 2007 and based in Boulder, Colorado.